Bill Hammel was born and raised in Dubuque, Iowa.
Bill served on the Dubuque Fire Department from 1968 to 1976.
His first assignment was on Truck Company No. 1 at the old Central Engine House. The truck was a 1947 Seagrave 100' aerial. Bill had the distinction of being the last Tillerman on the Second Platoon.
In 1971 Dubuque replaced the Seagrave truck with a Pierce/Pitman 85' Snorkel.
During his tenure on the fire department he was also assigned to Engine Company No. 3 and Ambulance No. 12.
Bill was the President of Dubuque Local 353 of the Professional Firefighters Association from 1969 to 1970.
Bill began his career at the 1893 Central Engine House formerly located at 9th and Iowa Streets, when he left the Department he was stationed at the new Fire Department Headquarters at 9th and Central Avenue.
Bill also served on the Dubuque City Council from 1981-1985 representing the First Ward. Bill was Economic Development Liaison for the Council and was instrumental in the founding of the Greater Dubuque Development Corporation and served on the original Board of Directors.
Bill, with the assistance of family members has spent the past seven years researching the History of the Dubuque Fire Department. This research is an ongoing process.